Assessment Disputes & Complaints

If you would like to dispute your assessment, please call us toll free at 877-866-3171, or contact one of our property assessors; they can discuss the valuation process and details of your assessment: Complaints
If, after you have talked with our property assessors, you still believe your assessment or any other assessment to be inequitable (in comparison to market value or to other comparable properties),  you may file a complaint to the Assessment Review Board.

Its function is to hear evidence as to whether the property's assessment is equitable with other comparable properties. The Assessment Review Board has the authority to review and direct the assessor to make amendments. Please note - appeals must be made within 60 days of the tax notice mail out date. The appeal deadline also appears on your tax notice, in the top right corner.

Assessment complaints must be submitted to:
Gordon Fullerton, Assessment Review Board
c/o Municipal District of Bonnyville No. 87
Bag 1010
Bonnyville, AB T9N 2J7

Your Entitlement
An assessed person is entitled to see or receive sufficient information about the person's property in accordance with Section 299 of the Municipal Government Act or a summary of an assessment in accordance with section 300 of the Municipal Government Act, or both.

Pursuant to Section 460 of the Municipal Government Act and the Matters Relating to Assessment and Tax Regulation copies of the following are available at the municipal office, or online:
If you would like any additional information regarding property assessments, please go to the municipal affairs website.

Please note that your complaint (appeal) form must be completed in its entirety, received by the Assessment Review Board Clerk on or before the Appeal Deadline shown on the front of this notice, and include the appropriate complaint fee.

A complaint against your assessed property does not exempt you from paying your taxes on time or from late payment penalties. If a complaint is successful, the adjustment will be applied to the tax roll.

Pursuant to Bylaw Number 1325, all complaints must be accompanied by the appropriate fee as identified below:
  • Residential/Farmland $50 per parcel
  • Non-residential $100 per parcel
If the Assessment Review Board finds in favour of the complainant, the fee or fees for the applicable parcel or parcels shall be returned to the complainant.