Voter Information


Elections for municipal (County) Councillors will be held on Monday, October 16, 2017. To be eligible to vote, you must meet the following requirements: 

  • You must be at least 18 years old, a Canadian citizen, and a resident of the division in which you are voting on Election Day.
  • You must have lived in Alberta at least 6 months prior to Election Day.
  • You must produce one piece of valid identification to prove your identity and place of residence. Here is the list of valid identification that will be accepted:
  1. Photo identification issued by a Canadian government or agency, whether federal, provincial or local;
  2. Bank/credit card statement or personal cheque;
  3. Correspondence issued by a school, college or university;
  4. Government cheque or cheque stub;
  5. Income/property tax assessment notice;
  6. Insurance policy or coverage card;
  7. Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee;
  8. Pension Plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation;
  9. Residential lease or mortgage statement;
  10. Statement of government benefits: e.g. Employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support, or child tax benefit;
  11. Utility bill: e.g. Telephone, public utilities commission, television, electricity, gas or water;
  12. Vehicle ownership, registration or insurance certificate; or
  13. A letter or form (attestation) confirming that the person lives at the stated address. The letter can be signed by any of the following:
  • authorized representative of a commercial property management company
  • authorized representative of a correctional institution
  • authorized representative of a First Nations band or reserve
  • authorized representative of a post-secondary institution
  • authorized representative of a facility that provides services to the homeless
  • authorized representative of a supportive living facility or treatment centre.

Access the List of Election Candidates.

Advance Voting

The Advance Poll will be held Thursday, October 5 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the M.D. of Bonnyville Administration Office (4905 - 50 Ave., Bonnyville). All eligible voters can vote during this time.

Voting Stations

Residents must vote in a Voting Station corresponding to the Ward that they reside in. For example, if you live in Ward 5, you must vote in one of the Ward 5 Voting Stations. 

Not sure which Ward you live in? View the Ward map (PDF) (updated 2013).

Voting Stations will be open at the following locations from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on October 16, 2017: 

  • Ward 1 - Beaverdam Hall, Fort Kent Seniors Hall, Bonnyville Seniors' Drop-In Centre
  • Ward 2 - Eastbourne Community Hall, Shaw House, Bonnyville Seniors' Drop-In Centre
  • Ward 3 - Flat Lake Hall, Goodridge Jubilee Hall, Glendon RCMP Hall 
  • Ward 4 - Lessard Community Hall, Willow Prairie Community Hall, Bonnyville Senior Drop-In Centre 
  • Ward 5 - Ardmore Senior Citizens Club, Alexander Hall, Riverhurst Hall
  • Ward 6 - Cold Lake Energy Centre, Cherry Grove Hall

These locations will be confirmed after Nomination Day on September 18, 2017.

How to Vote

  1. Before voting, every voter must produce identification and complete a statement that he/she is eligible to vote in that election and that he/she has not voted anywhere else.
  2. Then, each voter will be given a paper ballot.
  3. You can select one candidate for Councillor in your Ward and one candidate for Reeve.
  4. You will indicate your choice by filling in a circle next to the name of the candidate of your choice.
  5. After you have completed selecting the candidates for whom you would like to vote, you will approach a machine, and feed your ballot into the machine.
  6. The machine will scan the ballot, count the votes and provide the results at the end of Election Day. 

Check out a quick video demonstration of the Voting Machines.Voting Machine

Special Ballot

This is the M.D.'s first municipal election where we are providing our residents the opportunity to vote by Special Ballot.

An eligible voter who is physically incapacitated or absent from the area that is:

  1. unable to vote in the advance vote or
  2. unable to vote at a voting station on Election Day

can now vote by special ballot.

Voters can request a special ballot from the Returning Officer in writing, in person or by fax.

All Special Ballots must be completed and returned to the M.D. Main Administration office (4905-50 Avenue Bonnyville) by 4 p.m. on Election Day, October 16, 2017.

Questions? Contact the Returning Officer by email or call the M.D. office at 780-826-3171.