Seasonal Docks and Boat Lifts

In Alberta, water bodies and shore lands fall under the jurisdiction of the Provincial government. A Temporary Field Authorization (TFA) is now required from the Government of Alberta to place a seasonal dock or mooring structure in Crown owned bed and shore, for longer than 14 days. 

For further information on docks and other lakeshore activities visit the Government of Alberta’s Environment and Parks website or call AEP at 780-623-5240.

 To get approvals from the province, you will need to fill out the Client ID Application Form and submit it via email.

Once you receive a Client ID, you can then complete the Application for Temporary Field Authorization – Personal Use Recreational Docks and submit via email

If you are not the waterfront landowner, the Province will require you to obtain written consent from the waterfront landowner before an authorization may be issued. Many lakeshore properties in the Municipal District of Bonnyville are separated from the water by a municipally-owned environmental reserve. These reserves are left in their natural state in order to protect the lake and shore, and to provide public access to the water. Click here for the Municipal Authorization Seasonal Access Form.

Please contact the M.D. for consent to place a dock in front of an environmental reserve at 780-826-3171 or email