2021 Municipal Election
The Municipal District of Bonnyville will be holding a municipal election on Monday, October 18, 2021. Voters will elect one Reeve and six Councillors.
Filing of a nomination
NEW in 2021: Candidates may submit their nomination papers starting January 1, 2021.
The Nomination Form, Candidate Information Form, Release of Information Form, and a deposit of $100 (cash, certified cheque, debit, credit card, or money order payable to Municipal District of Bonnyville) must be filed with the Returning Officer during the nomination period between January 1, 2021 and noon on September 20, 2021, at the M.D. Administration Office.
Please note that:
- The nomination form can only be accepted by the Returning Officer during the nomination period.
- Filing of the nomination form may be done in person.
- Someone other than the candidate may file the nomination form on the candidate’s behalf, but the candidate is responsible to ensure the nomination form is complete and is sworn before a Commissioner for Oaths before filing.
- Mailed, faxed, or emailed copies of the nomination form will not be accepted.
- Once the nomination form is accepted by the Returning Officer or their designate, the name of the candidate, the office they are seeking and the candidate information from Form A will be posted on the M.D. election website.
Information for candidates
Candidates are responsible for understanding all legislation concerning elections, including nomination, eligibility, campaigning restrictions, campaign finance and disclosure, election offences and prohibitions at voting stations.
A Candidate Information Package is under development that will provide prospective candidates with additional information about running for the M.D. Municipal Council. When finalized, this document will be available electronically on the M.D. election website and by paper copy at the M.D. Administration Office.
A Candidate's Guide: Running for Municipal Office in Alberta (Alberta Municipal Affairs)