Changes in Subdivision and Development Permit Processes
April 9, 2020 - Due to COVID-19, Alberta Municipal Affairs have issued a Ministerial Order 022/20 dated March 31, 2020. The order extends a number of timelines in Part 17 (Planning and Development) of the Municipal Government Act.
The most notable changes are:
- Timeline to deem an application complete has changed from 20 days from receipt of application to now October 1, 2020
- Timeline to appeal a subdivision approval decision has changed from 14 days to now Oct. 1, 2020
- Timeline to deem complete has changed from 20 days from receipt of application to now Oct. 1, 2020
- Timeline to appeal a development permit approval has changed from 21 days after the date of notice to now Oct. 1, 2020
SDAB, MGB and Court of Appeals
- Timeline to hold an appeal has been extended from 14 days for a subdivision approval and 21 days for a development approval to now Oct. 1, 2020
- The timeline for any decisions on a current open appeal has been extended until Oct. 1, 2020
While the municipality’s development authority anticipates a revision to the above-mentioned Ministerial Order, these guidelines will be followed as of March 31, 2020. Therefore, the Municipal District of Bonnyville will not be processing or issuing any subdivision applications or development permits, effective immediately.
It is important to note that COVID-19 is a situation that is rapidly evolving, and changes happen quickly. To keep up to date on the situation, visit www.alberta.ca/covid19.
Questions and concerns can be directed to:
Manager of Planning & Development – 780-826-3171